Friday, October 26, 2012

Welcome and Classics Club List

Hey everyone! Welcome to my book blog!

This blog has been a long time in coming. As an English major, of course, I love to read books and write about books, and I've finally decided to use blogging as an outlet for doing that. But talking about books isn't the same unless other people speak up and respond--so I hope you'll feel free to openly agree or disagree with anything I say!

Since I love reading classics and I realize my severe deficiency in that area (aren't we all deficient in that area?), I've decided to join the Classics Club, which I've been wanting to join for quite some time now. The idea is to read at least 50 classics in five years.

The list is a living list--I'll change it according to my reading and how things are going. If I read a book by an author that I absolutely love and I want to read more by that author, I might add it. Or if I really hate a book and I can't bear to finish it, I might replace it with a different one. No matter what, though, I'm going to keep a list of at least 50 which I'll finish by November of 2017.

So here's my list! If you have any recommendations, feel free to give them!

1. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
2. Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens
3. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
4. Agnes Grey - Anne Bronte
5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
6. Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
7. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
8. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
9. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
10. Les Miserables (re-read) - Victor Hugo
11. Middlemarch - George Eliot
12. Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
13. Mansfield Park - Jane Austen
14. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
15. Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott
16. Ulysses - James Joyce
17. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
18. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
19. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
20. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
21. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
22. 1984 - George Orwell
23. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
24. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
25. Dracula - Bram Stoker
26. A Room With a View - E.M. Forster
27. Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
28. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
29. The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank
30. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
31. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
32. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
33. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
34. All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
35. The Crucible - Arthur Miller
36. Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison
37. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
38. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
39. Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
40. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
41. The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allen Poe (short story)
42. Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne
43. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
44. Their Eyes were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
45. The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
46. Joan of Arc - Mark Twain
47. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
48. The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
49. Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor E. Frankl
50. Arabian Nights
51. Mary Barton - Elizabeth Gaskell
52. The Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
53. Frankenstein or, The Modern Prometheus - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

2 comments:

  1. If you read Little Women, don't make it the abridged version. I read that one before I read the long one, and the long version is better. They basically cut out all the character development of Amy when they shortened the book. The movie did that, too. Poor Amy! She was actually a fantastic character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll definitely get the regular one. I don't plan on reading any abridged versions if I can help it. I know, Amy really doesn't get much credit from what I've heard. I'm excited to read it!

      Delete