Saturday, June 1, 2013

Library Book Sale!

I've been to many a library book sale, as I imagine plenty of you have, too. Most of my library book sale memories, though, are from my childhood, when I spent my time searching for the rare book that actually looked interesting to me. But even though most of the books looked terribly boring to little me, I still liked looking through the boxes upon boxes of other people's discarded books. 

Today's book sale was even more fun, though, because I was looking for books to add to my collection (and I have a broader interest now). I got books I want to read soon as well as books I just want on my shelves for "someday." 

Here's my haul: 



From bottom to top: 
Where the Red Fern Grows--a favorite from my childhood that I want to read to my own kids someday
Chaim Potok's The Chosen--super interesting book that I tried (and failed) to read as a teenager, which I would like to try again in the future
Bleak House--I've been wanting to read this for ages, but it's kind of hard to read a library copy since it's so long. (It's a Barnes & Noble copy, too, which I love.)
The Poisonwood Bible--been wanting to read this, I will eventually
Like Water for Chocolate--I've heard really good things about this book and I hope I can read it soon
Sapphira and the Slave Girl (by Willa Cather)--I've never heard of this particular book, but I've become more interested in reading Cather lately
The Prince and the Pauper (by Mark Twain)--I love Twain and I don't think I ever read the original, just abridged versions for younger kids
Black Beauty--I can't remember whether I've read it or not, but it's a good classic to have for kids. 

I'm excited about owning these books! It might be years before I read some of them, but I love adding to my collection. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow! How nice to leave with more than one great pick from a library sale.

    I have never read Cather, but I did just picked up a copy of O Pioneers! from a friend's book sale. I am eager to read it this summer.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of O Pioneers!, and I probably would have been more happy to have found that one at the library! It seems like one of the more popular Cather books, if not the most popular. I hope to see what you think of it. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. You have to read The Chosen soon! It's one of my favorites. It's a really beautiful book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I really disliked it when I tried to read it several years ago. But I don't even remember why, because the only parts of it I remember are parts I liked. Ha, ha. It's definitely on my TBR pile, especially now that I own it.

      Delete
  3. Where the Red Fern Grows is very sweet. It makes me cry.

    I've never heard of this Willa Cather book either -- I've read My Antonia and O Pioneers and liked them okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad read it aloud to me and my siblings when I was a kid and it was the only time I ever saw him cry while reading a book.

      For some reason, that particular book was in abundance at the library sale; I kept seeing copies of it. Maybe the library just didn't want to keep all those copies of it because no one ever reads it. :P

      Delete
    2. No one ever reads it because it's so sad! Lol.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha, I actually was talking about the Cather book when I said that (although I was very unclear).

      Delete