Thursday, July 17, 2014

Wicked Wildfire Readathon: Day 4


Books read today: Marie Antoinette, The Reader
All books finished: Refuge, When Did I Get Like This?



11:00 am: Yesterday I finished up When Did I Get Like This? and wasn't sure what book to pick up next, so I went with The Reader. I've actually been skeptical of this book for a while but my mom gave me her copy, so I just decided to go with it. I've read some this morning too and I'm about halfway through. I'm not all that impressed by it, but I figure I'll just finish it since it's a pretty short and easy read. And I think I'm getting to the good part (the second half of the novel). I might finish it today.

I also spent a good part of the morning with Marie Antoinette, which is really starting to get good. Her husband is now officially Louis XVI, and she's having to deal with not getting pregnant yet, while everyone close to her is pressuring her to have more influence on her husband. Interesting!

3:15 pm: I've totally avoided The Reader since this morning, so I'm not likely to finish it today. Actually, I've had my eye on a couple of other books to add to my list, but I haven't started them yet. Instead I've been spending more time on Marie Antoinette. Marie Antoinette is now going down the dark paths of gambling and extravagance--but she's still not anywhere near the "Let them eat cake" persona (of course, it's highly unlikely she ever said anything like that, but it's just the impression). Anyway, I don't know how much more time for reading I'll have today, but it could be my last day of serious reading for the next few days. My husband and I are going out of town for the weekend, so probably not much reading, and no updates on the blog, will be had. But I'll be right back at it when we get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment