Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Classics Club Spin #7!

Originally, I decided to skip the Spin yet again. I have a lot of books I'm in the middle of, and school starts in a month...it just didn't seem like a good time to add a random classic to my pile of books. But once I saw everyone else's lists, I just couldn't help it. I'm going to do the Spin! Even if I don't manage to finish on time, it'll still be fun to try. But I'm going to keep the books on this list relatively short--I don't want to put any pressure on myself to read War and Peace in the next two months.

Please don't pick one of these: 
1. The Odyssey - Homer
2. The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan
3. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
4. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
5. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut


Feeling indifferent: 
6. The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allen Poe
7. Walden - Henry David Thoreau
8. 1984 - George Orwell
9. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
10. The Prince - Machiavelli

Vaguely interested: 
11. Mansfield Park - Jane Austen
12. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
13. The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
14. Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
15. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Please pick one of these: 
16. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
17. Aurora Leigh - Elizabeth Barrett Browning
18. A Room of One's Own - Virginia Woolf
19. Agnes Grey - Anne Bronte
20. The Diary of a Young Girl - Ann Frank

Now I'm getting excited! Even the ones in the "please don't pick one of these" category aren't too bad (since I avoided the longest, most difficult books) so I think I'll be able to finish any that are chosen. I'm excited to check another title off my list!

5 comments:

  1. Looking good! Though, yeah, I wouldn't pick the Odyssey right before school starts...a bunch of these are really short, so good choices for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do hope it doesn't get picked, but some people say it's not that hard, so...? Haha. We'll see...hopefully it's one of the others!

      Delete
  2. Meditations! Wow, that would be a good one! I agree with your "feeling indifferent" list but, as you probably know, I love the Odyssey. It's actually not too long and, if you read a children's version beforehand to get the gist of the story, it's not a difficult read. I wasn't thrilled with Madame B but I read it along with other rather depressing novels, so if I hadn't loaded myself up with angst and tragedy, I might have had a different reaction to it.

    Your list looks great. Best of luck with your Spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am interested in Meditations but I also feel like it might be kind of a slow read...so we'll see. And I would be happy to get Madame Bovary because I actually had to read a large chunk of it for school several months back and I really liked the first part, so I've wanted to read the rest ever since! (I would have to start at the beginning again, though, because I don't remember it well enough.)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your spin. We're sharing Oscar Wilde this spin :-)

    ReplyDelete