Monday, January 21, 2013

Winter's Respite Read-a-Thon: Day 1


Monday, Jan. 21
# of pages read: 92
Books read: 
October Sky
Versailles: Biography of a Palace
Julia Child's My Life in France
Northanger Abbey
Books finished: 0
Total # of pages read: 92

4:40 pm: Sooo, I've only read 30 pages so far. Reason being that I went out to the mall with my sister today and only just got back! However, I managed to get some reading done in the car, reading out loud to my husband. 

Doug and I have been reading October Sky together, which has been so much fun! He's not big on reading; in his words, he "can't sit still long enough" (but I think he just hasn't found the right books yet). As a very bookish person myself, it's hard for me to leave him alone and not nag him to "try this book and see if you like it." I've really enjoyed reading October Sky with him because it was one of his favorite books he read as a teenager (aka, he already likes it and isn't going to get bored). So I slyly got in a couple chapters on the drive. 

But now that we're home, I'm going to seriously get into the reading for this week. Still really excited!

7:42 pm: Doug graciously retreated into his own little world for a couple hours this evening so I could get about 60 more pages read. I finished a chapter each in Versailles and My Life in France before moving on to Northanger Abbey. 

Versailles is so interesting! I have always found the palace very intriguing, especially since I visited a few years ago, so this book is fascinating. It's straight non-fiction, and it's not as easy a read as the other books I've read today, but I'm about a third of the way through and it's interesting enough that I can down a chapter at a time pretty easily.

My Life in France is as fun as ever. It's getting even more fun now that Julia Child has published the first volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, has gotten started on her TV show, and just decided to start writing the second volume of the cookbook classic. Makes me want to run out and buy my own copy of MTAFC!

I only got a few pages into Northanger Abbey but I have to say, so far it seems to be Jane Austen at her wittiest. I can tell she's mercilessly making fun of the other literature of the time period, and it's hilarious. I'm excited about this one because it's the first Austen novel I've read that I knew so little about before starting. Seems like it's going to be a fun journey! It's especially fun getting back into fiction after reading so much non-fiction; it just feels more free and loose and wild.

Tomorrow I'm going to hunker down a little more and get more serious reading done. Tonight was just a taste of what the read-a-thon is going to be like. I'm also more excited to get involved on Twitter since I mostly ignored it today, unfortunately. See you tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment